Munich Cycle Capital
Municipal campaign to promote cycling
At July 2nd 2008, Munich's city parliament authorized the municipal
administration to develop and to start a tendering procedure for a
marketing campaign for cycling promotion. The decision was based on
two crucial aims:
- contributing to an increase in cycling's modal share ("more cycling" = quantity)
- contributing to an increase in cycling safety ("more cycling culture" = quality)
At July 29th 2009, the city parliament passed a fundamental cycling resolution. The annual cycling lump sum was raised from 1.5 to 4.5 million Euros, related to the aim of supporting "soft measures" more intensely. The municipal allocation unit undertook a Europe-wide tender offer for the development and realization of a cycling campaign. Overall 62 tenderers reacted. At March 3rd 2010, the city parliament decided to commission the bidding consortium "helios/SportKreativWerkstatt/Green City e.V.". Furthermore, the municipal administration was instructed to evaluate the campaign within two years. Those results should be used for debating the campaign continuation again in city parliament.
The campaign "Munich Cycling Capital" started on April 23nd 2010 with a press conference and large kick-off weekend, including the first "Munich Cycle Night" and a "Cycle Spring Market". Since then, the advantages of the bicycle as a perfect urban means of transport are communicated and advertised, using a manifold marketing concept. The campaigns slogan "Munich Cycling Capital" picks up the municipalities claim of becoming one of Europe`s cycle friendliest metropolises. Looking at a significant increase in cycling traffic during the last years and a 1,200 kilometers long cycle network, Munich seems to be on track.
The aims of the campaign
Cycling expresses independence, flexibility, joy of moving, quality of life and lifestyle. Cycling in Munich stands for future oriented mobility and at the same time for a long local tradition. To strengthen that positive image of the bicycle and to raise awareness for it that is the campaign's mission. Manifold activities and events are realized to demonstrate bicycles' amenities and to reach those citizens, who are not yet convinced by everyday cycling. Thereby, mobility habits are putted into question and people get motivated to change to the bicycle a deeply rooted cycling culture can grow. The bicycle should become a part of Munich's lifestyle and joie de vivre again, following the slogan: "Munich is beautiful while cycling even more beautiful".
The campaign uses various possibilities for attractively advertising urban cycling. It works with emotional elements and strong local references for inspiring Munich residents to cycle in "their city".
It should be underlined, that those soft measures of communication and marketing should not substitute the "hardware", but complement it instead. Updated events and further information concerning Munich Cycle Capital can be found on the campaign webpage, radlhauptstadt.de (this and all follwing links to German webpages).
- Munich Cycle Night (2010, 2011 and 2012)
- Bicycle Spring Market (2010 and 2011)
- Munich Bicycle Flea Market (2012)
- Competition "Munich searches for the Cycle Star"
- Bicycle safety checks (2010-2012, about 40 dates per year)
- School tour: "Check your Bicycle" (2011 and 2012)
- Munich Cycling Week (2011 and 2012)
- Munich Cycling and Fashion Show (2011 and 2012)
- Welcome Bicycle Tours for Newbies (2012)
- V.I.P. Cycling "Bicycle Tour Deluxe" (2012)
- Cycle Capital-Band "Fahrtwind"(Wind in my hair, 2011)
- Cycle Capital-Song "We cycle"
- Stands at various events (trade fairs, street festivals, traffic safety events, etc.)
- Visibility of the campaign in public space: big banners at public buildings, street-paint logo at the Marienplatz, diverse poster actions (2010-2012)
- Broad PR-activities, accompanying all campaign
Information and service offers (print and online)
- Campaign-webpage (since 2010): www.radlhauptstadt.de
- Cycle Capital facebook page (since 2010).
- Twitter service (since 2010).
- Campaign Newsletter.
- Cycling Capital youtube channel (since 2010).
- Broad filmic documentation of all the measures (since 2010)
- Cinema spot on traffic safety (2011 and 2012).
- Video clip with famous "Friends of the Cycle Capital Munich" (2011 and 2012).
- Brochure: "Cycling trendy and safe" .
- Cycling yellow pages: "Munich Cycling Scene".
- Munich bicycle calendar (published every year).
- Communication of infrastructure extensions
- Postcards (cycling bavaria, big wheel, Oktoberfest, calves capital)
- Production of numerous branded accessories and materials: T-Shirts, pullovers, coats, wests, bags, bike bells, reflector tapes, pens, caps, stickers, reflectors, tool kits, etc.
Development of Munich's cycling traffic
By now, Munichs cycling modal share has reached 17%. That is one
result from a survey, conducted as part of the campaign evaluation,
in 2011. In comparison to the 2002 traffic study "MiDMUC" (10%), a
70% increase in cycling traffic can be recognized. It is to be
reckoned with a significantly ongoing increase during the next
- Giving a proof of success for an enduring political-administrative legitimation of the campaign
- Estimating as much as possible effects of the campaign
- Deriving hints for advancing the campaign for 2012 and the following years
The evaluation is focused on the following four spheres of action:
- Citizens perception of the campaign and of the topic "cycling traffic" (evaluated through interviews with citizens)
- Campaigns influences on traffic behaviour (estimated through changes in modal choice and effects deducible from that)
- Campaigns media exposure and its effects (evaluated through media cliping)
- Political effectiveness of the campaign (analysed through qualitative stakeholder interviews)
The excecutive report including crucial evaluation results can be downloaded here (in German)
- helios - Agentur für audiovisuelle Kommunikation
- Green City e.V.
- Campaign website (German)
- Press releases, edited by the City of Munich
- Photographs and videoclips from the campaign