Winners in planning competition "Cycle Highways in NRW" awarded
Congratulations from the minister of transport in NRW, Michael Groschek, to the winners: "These cities could be pioneers of a great development. There could be a quantum shift taken place in supporting cycling in NRW".
Among others, his ministry is going to realize the coalition contract of NRW in the field of implementing more cycle highways and to be responsible as the road operator.
What is going on now? First the transport department of North Rhine-Westphalia subsidizes a feasibility study. This will be the basis for the pre-planning and the following execution planning - also supported by the government of NRW.
The following proposals were awarded:
- The Aachen Urban Region and its route Aachen - Herzogenrath/Kerkrade/Heerlen (30 km)
- The City of Düsseldorf and its route Neuss - University of Düsseldorf - Düsseldorf-Benrath - Düsseldorf-Garath - Langenfeld and Monheim (31 km)
- The city of Bad Oeynhausen and its route Herford - Löhne - Bad Oeynhausen - Porta Westfalica and Minden (36 km)
- Die City of Cologne and its route Cologne city centre - University of Cologne - Köln-Lindenthal - Industrial Park Marsdorf (Köln) und Europark (Frechen) - Frechen Train Station (8,4 km)
- The Municipality of Rhede with its route Isselburg-Anholt - Isselburg - Isselburg-Werth - Bocholt - Rhede - Borken - Velen (45 km)
- Additional proposals from Düsseldorf (route Ratingen-Kaiserswerth) and Rhede (section Velen - Coesfeld) could not convince the jury.