Climate Alliance awards German municipalities and parliaments for active bicycle use
STADTRADELN ("Urban Cycling") is a nationwide competition, in which municipal parliaments' members as well as citizens try to cycle as many kilometres as possible. Between May and September every municipality fixes a three weeks slot, in which the local action takes place.
The 2013 campaign beat all records. About 70,000 participants from over 200 municipalities cycled more than 13 million kilometres. In comparison to driving the same distance by car, almost 2,000 tons of CO2 could be saved - more than ever before. In addition, about 1,200 members of the municipal parliaments and about 50 locally well-known people, the so called "Cycling Stars", switched from driving to cycling for the 21 days period.
During its annual conference, the climate alliance submitted the 2013 awards to the most successful municipalities and municipal parliaments.
Most active municipal parliaments (kilometre per member in
relation to the ratio of participants in the
- Rank 1: Inning - 136,6 participant-kilometres (16 out of 16 members of parliament cycled all in all 2,186 kilometres)
- Rank 2: Gablingen - 96,4 participant-kilometres (16 out of 17 members of parliament cycled all in all 1,742 kilometres)
- Rank 3: Gunzenhausen - 91,5 participant-kilometres (13 out of 24 members of parliament cycled all in all 4,054 kilometres)
Most active municipalities (number of kilometres
- Rank 1: Dresden - 1,044,142 kilometres and 150,357 kilogram of CO2 reduction
- Rank 2: Rural district ("Landkreis") of Starnberg - 851,495 kilometres and 122,615 kilogram of CO2 reduction
- Rank 3: Munich - 797,107 kilometres and 114,783 kilogram of CO2 reduction
Most active municipalities (number of kilometres per inhabitant)
- Rank 1: Weßling - 17.321 kilometres per inhabitant
- Rank 2: Bargteheide - 14.722 kilometres per inhabitant
- Rank 3: Meldorf - 12.212 kilometres per inhabitant
For 2014 the continuation of STADTRADELN is already confirmed.