41 percent pedelec share, around 9,000 employees
Austrian e-bike market leads the German-speaking region
Bicycle sales figures in Austria 2020: Record-breaking sales, e-bike share over 40 percent for the first time, e-cargo bikes doubled
- The total bicycle market in Austria had a volume of around 496,000 bicycles in 2020 (+13 percent).
- In 2020, more than 200,000 e-bikes were sold for the first time. This corresponds to a market share of 41 percent - making the Austrian bicycle market the strongest in the D-A-CH (Germany-Austria-Switzerland) region.
- The increase in e-cargo bikes is particularly significant: With just under 950 e-cargo bikes sold, the segment has almost doubled.
- In 2020, almost EUR 878 million (+ 26 percent) was generated with bicycle sales.
- The reason for this is the rising sales of e-bikes and the demand for higher-quality products and materials: on average, people pay EUR 1,769 (+11.6 percent) for a bicycle, and EUR 3,012 (+7 percent) for an e-bike.
- Turnover with e-bikes was 613 million EUR, which is about 70 percent of the total turnover.
- The Austrian bicycle industry employs about 1,000 people, in bicycle sales about 7,000 to 8,000 (specialised bicycle trade and sporting goods trade).
Austria was able to defend its position as e-bike sales champion in the D-A-CH region in 2020: With 203,515 e-bikes sold, the market share is 41 percent. In Germany it is 38.7 percent (source: ZIV) and in Switzerland 34.1 percent (source: Velosuisse).
Due to the high demand for e-bikes and higher-priced materials and products with a wide range of features, turnover also increased significantly to 878,325,330 million EUR. This is an increase of almost 26 percent compared to the previous year. The largest share is due to e-bike sales: with a turnover of 613,063,059 million euros, e-bikes now account for 70 percent of total bicycle sales. On average, people pay 1,769 EUR (+11.6 percent) for a bicycle and 3,012 EUR (+7 percent) for an e-bike.